Are you in the middle of a conversation and finally agree with a point that has been made? Maybe someone uploaded a social media status that resonates with your way of thinking.
Instead of simply intoning your agreement, you can say periodt to let others know just how strongly you feel. This post unpacks the meaning and origin of this expression.
An agreement can be expressed in various ways, periodt is one such way. The phrase simply means to agree enthusiastically. While a person can simply say, yes, or I agree, the slang term periodt is intended to convey a heavier form of agreement than a simple yes.
The phrase is also meant to end further conversation on a specific topic. It is usually stated with vigor and a small amount of aggression to get one’s point across.
When you want to end a conversation, even if you are not in agreement, using the term is also appropriate. It is also a way to casually emphasize a point or a comment during a heated conversation between two or more people. In this instance, it does not always mean agreement, more so that you feel the point being made is worth listening to. More information can be found in the video (here).
“If he ever puts his hands on me again that will be the end of his days as a free man. Period”.
“As soon as I get off work there is going to be nothing that can convince me to stay even one extra minute, period”.
“Girl, I agree with everything you said, period point blank”.
“Tarnisha has the best braiding skills in all of Atlanta, period”.
“You would be hard pressed to find him talking to his BM, he’s tired of her period”.
“That album is hitting all the right notes periodt. I won’t be surprised if it goes platinum”.
Origin of Periodt
The word or punctuation “period” has been around since the start of the 1800s in the English language. It was used then and now as the proper way to end a sentence. In modern days, the punctuation has transformed into an interjection. The phrase or slang term period originated in the African American community. It is considered a complete word according to the AAVE vernacular.
The slang term came to be in the early 2000s, specifically in the Black gay community. It was a common phrase used in a sassy manner to end a conversation or to energetically agree with a point made. Over time and with the help of the internet, the phrase has become common in the Black community as a whole, and in trendy society in general.
Phrases Similar to Periodt
- Straight up
- I agree
- For realz
Phrases Opposite to Periodt
- No thanks
- That isn’t it
- ION like that
- Don’t think so
- Stop, get some help
- Hell no
What is the Correct Saying?
- The proper way to say period is “period”.
Ways People May Incorrectly Say Periodt
Using the slang term periodt is rather easy. In any sentence or situation that you want to agree or where you would end a sentence, you can use the phrase. That being said, some ways that periodt is used incorrectly are:
- She does very well when she speaks properly periodt.
- It is time to add a periodt to the end of that sentence.
- Didn’t I tell you that you should always say periodt once you are done talking?
- I don’t think you know what you are talking about period.
Acceptable Ways to Phrase Periodt
- Her concerts are always lit,
- Point blank periodt, if he keeps acting like this, I am going to have to drop him fosho.
- Ain’t nothing wrong with getting those coints. I’m gonna do me erry day, periodt.
- I am voting in the next election no matter what. I am tired of not having a say, periodt. It’s time to take back our democracy.
- Hey, I am behind you 100% periodt. It doesn’t matter what management says, I know you are the best at your job.