Are you doing well after being on a downward spiral? Maybe you watched someone turn their life around when it seemed all was lost? If so, the phrase phoenix rising from the ashes is a great phrase to use to celebrate the occasion. This post unpacks the meaning and origin of this expression.
The saying phoenix rising from the ashes means that a person or event was able to overcome obstacles and achieve their goals. It is used to infer that someone was nearly beyond hope, or that a situation was hopeless before being turned around. A rebirth or renewal is another way to explain what a phoenix rising from the ashes means.
A phoenix rising from the ashes can also be explained as something or someone emerging anew after having been eradicated. Moving on from the past, overcoming a life of challenges, or even overcoming near death is considered to be a phoenix rising from the ashes.
“Her tennis career made a comeback like a phoenix rising from the ashes”.
“No matter how far down you go, you can always come back like a phoenix rising from the ashes”.
“Don’t let setbacks or even failure keep you from your dreams, hard work will help you succeed like a phoenix rising from the ashes”.
“I was so pleased to see Jeremy kick the habit like a phoenix rising from the ashes, now their relationship can grow”.
The phoenix from Greek mythology is a bird that has a very long life. When it dies, it cyclically regenerates itself only to be reborn. Most often this bird is tied to the sun or the brightest start and the new bird is birthed directly from the ashes of its predecessor.
The phoenix was also found in Egyptian mythology. It would live for exactly 500 years before burning itself to death to be reborn. The phrase phoenix rising from the ashes was first seen in print in the 19th century, but there have been oratory records of the phrase existing prior to this time. Though the exact origin is contested, there is a general consensus that the mythical creature and its rebirth style have been around since the dawn of time.
Phrases Similar to Phoenix Rising From The Ashes
- New Beginning
- Rise from the ashes
- Make a comeback
- New life
Phrases Opposite to Phoenix Rising From The Ashes
- Has been
- Washed up
What is the Correct Saying?
- The proper saying is – a phoenix rises from the ashes.
Ways People May Incorrectly Say Phoenix Rising From The Ashes
Some ways that the phoenix rising from the ashes is used incorrectly are:
- When you want to dust yourself off, just become a phoenix rising from the ashes and shake off the sadness.
- I don’t know how many times a person can really act like a phoenix rising from the ashes.
- Being consistent is the best way to be a phoenix rising from the ashes in the corporate world.
- You can’t be a phoenix rising from the ashes every day, people are not parrots.
Acceptable Ways to Phrase Phoenix Rising From The Ashes
Some ways that the phoenix rising from the ashes is used correctly are:
- We will recover from this recession like a phoenix rising from the ashes, all it takes is hard work.
- America will always be a phoenix rising from the ashes of its troubles. The people are resilient and hold firm to their beliefs.
- You don’t have to worry about Dennis Rodman, he always bounces back like a phoenix rising from the ashes no matter what happens.
- There is something strange about the way John keeps saving his job. Every time I think he will get fired, he comes back like a phoenix rising from the ashes.