Whether you are looking for the right words to add to an essay, you are on a quest to broaden your vocabulary, or you need adjectives to fit into a poem, you sometimes need a little help. This long list of adjectives that begin with the letter H will get you started.
Adjectives that start with H
Haggard — Exhausted, drained, low energy.
Hairless — Lacking hair.
Handy — Convenient, helpful.
Haphazard — Disorganized, random, aimless.
Harassed — Plagued, troubled, bullied, tormented.
Hard — Firm, tough.
Harmful — Hazardous, risky, injurious, unfavorable.
Harrowing — Distressing, excruciating.
Harsh — Extreme, unforgiving,
Hasty — Hurried, eager to finish.
Hated — Despised, disliked, detested.
Hazardous — Risky, posing a hazard.
Hazy — Indistinct, foggy, cloudy.
Hearing — Able to hear.
Hearty — Wholesome, substantial.
Heated — With warmth added.
Heavy — Weighing a lot.
Hefty — Large, significant.
Hegemonic — Powerful, authoritarian.
Heinous — Shocking, evil, wicked.
Hellish — Evil, diabolical, terrible.
Helpless — Lacking the ability to do anything.
Herbal — Made with herbs.
Herculean — Giant, monumental, huge.
Hesitant — Doubtful, indecisive.
Hidden — Secret, covert, obstructed from view.
Hideous — Unsightly, disgusting.
High — At a great height.
Historic — Significant over the course of history.
Homeless — Lacking a permanent residence.
Hopeless — Without hope.
Horizontal — Parallel with the ground.
Horrendous — Terrible, awful.
Horrible — Terrible, distressing, inducing fear.
Horrific — Devastating, terrible, appalling.
Hostile — Aggressive, antagonistic, opposed, combative.
Hot — Very warm.
Huge — Very large, giant, monumental.
Human — A member of the Homo sapiens species.
Humid — Air with a high water content.
Humorless — Without humor.
Hungry — Needing to eat food.
Hunted — Persecuted, being pursued by.
Hurried — In a hurry; rushed.
Hurt — In pain, injured, saddened.
Hurtful — Causing hurt and pain.
Hygienic — Clean, free from bacteria.
Hyperbolic — Exaggerated, overstated.
Hypersensitive — Overly sensitive.
Hypertensive — Has high blood pressure.
Adjectives that start with H to describe a person
Hairy — Has lots of hair.
Hands-on — Proactive, active, participatory.
Handsome — Attractive, physically striking.
Hardened — Seasoned, experienced, veteran.
Haughty — Arrogant, feels superior.
Heartbroken — Grieving, mourning, sorrowful.
Hedonistic — Extravagant, seeking pleasure.
Hilarious — Extremely funny, comical.
Honest — Fair, open, truth-telling.
Honorable — Virtuous, upright.
Honored — Respected, esteemed.
Hormonal — Pertaining to hormones.
Hot-headed — Aggressive, prone to losing one’s temper.
Humane — Compassionate, kind, caring, tender.
Humble — Modest, possesses humility.
Humorous — Funny, comical, comical.
Hyperactive — Excessively active, fidgety, talkative.
Hypnotic — Magnetic, attractive, captivating.
Hypocritical — Insincere, deceptive.
Positive adjectives that start with H
Hallowed — Sacred, holy, consecrated.
Happy — Joyous, content, fulfilled.
Hardworking — Diligent, committed, determined.
Harmless — Benign, risk-free.
Harmonious — Peaceful, unified, in agreement.
Healing — Curative, medicinal, therapeutic.
Healthy — In good health; without sickness.
Heartening — Auspicious, encouraging.
Heartwarming — Filling the heart with joy and positivity.
Heavenly — Divine, pleasing, wonderful.
Helpful — Wishing to be of service.
Heroic — Courageous, brave, admired.
Holy — Godly, devout, blessed.
Homely — Cozy, comfortable, simple, plain.
Hopeful — Possessing hope.
Example sentences with H adjectives
- I let you off with a warning last time, Sir, but this time I am going to have to give you a hefty
- The Browns, who were both fond of starting baseless arguments, somehow managed to enjoy a harmonious
- I know that he looks scary to some people, but I promise you that my dog is a harmless
- Some video games have hidden bonuses that only the most dedicated players can find.
- A healthy dose of skepticism will help you uncover the truth.
- Now that Mrs Smith was close to retiring, the hyperactive children in her class made her feel very impatient.
- My hairy cat needs to be brushed every day.
- Daddy was a hardened criminal who did a few stints at the county jail; thankfully, by the time I became a teenager, he had found religion and transformed into a hardworking
- Herbal tea can be a very calming to drink before you go to bed.
- Humid air can make you feel even hotter in the summer.
- Please take the time to leave an honest review if you’d like; it would really help with my podcast.
- The planet’s harsh climate made all the colonists feel cold to the bone, even during the milder months.
- Heavy metals can cause serious health hazards after long-term exposure.
- As a result of your hurtful comments, I feel compelled to block you on social media going forward.
- Johnny loves watching hilarious shows with his family every weekend.
- The heartbroken widow still couldn’t quite believe that her husband was gone.
- The hungry fox was happily eyeing the chickens in my yard.